Openfiler is a high performance operating system tailored for use as a SAN/NAS appliance. This configuration will enable two Openfiler appliances to work in an Active/Passive high availability scenario.
- 2 x boxes that meet the minimum spec of Openfiler’s hardware specifications.
- 2 x ethernet interfaces in each box
- Openfiler 2.3 installation media.
- Both boxes should have the same size drives in each to avoid any replication inconsistencies.
Install Openfiler 2.3 on both boxes utilizing a disk setup such as the following:
- 3 GB root (“/”) partition
- 2 GB “swap” partition
- 512 MB “/meta” partition (used for DRBD0)
- Data partition configured as an unmounted LVM (used for DRBD1)
Each Openfiler appliance will have two NICs: one for communicating with the LAN, the other for communicating with the
other SAN (via direct cable). The first will be used for administration, to communicate directly with each node.
A third “virtual” interface is used by the heartbeat service and is what will be used by computers on the LAN.